It's true - I keep a hoop in my office. I don't think I'm alone in this either - More and more people are taking their hoops to work to bust out some flow on their lunch break. And guess what - they are happier at work because of it!
Get ready for the 5 ways hoop dancing has helped me at work - and I would love to know how the hoop has helped you in your career - Here we go!
1. Work Life Balance - ugh - it is such a buzz word and many say it's a myth to try and achieve - in my other job as a career counsellor my day is filled with coaching clients over the phone, a lot of computer / desk work, researching resources online, filing and other office duties. So it's like an office job with an emotional drain element. Having a hoop class or jam to look forward to after work helps me feel like I have a happy thing to balance out the demands of my job. Life is yours to live - and if it's all work and no play...well it's not balanced! Hooping has allowed me to tip the scales back where they should be.
2. Stress Management - I'm lucky I work at home - I can pick up my hoop and blast a song or 2 if I know my next client isn't for another 30 min - Or if I have a particularly challenging counselling session that has left me feeling frustrated I know I can take a 5 minute mini break and come back to my desk feeling so much better. Really it's magic - one song and it's like I have hit the 'reset' button. And then I'm ready and refreshed for my next client.
3. Creativity - Not only is hoop dancing a way to tap into my creative dance side, it has also allowed me to be more creative in my problem solving at work. When I'm dancing and trying to figure out a trick, transition or grip I use different strategies: video myself, watch a video of another, close my eyes, learn the ending first, come back to it later, try my other hand or other direction, break it down step by step, and all with the approach of inquisitiveness. I can translate these strategies to problem solving at work as well - looking at the big picture, breaking it down piece by piece, taking a break and coming back to it later, trying a new angle or perspective. By unlocking these creative problem solving pathways in hooping I have prepared my brain for creative problem solving in my work. Neuroscience baby! Just google neuroscience and hoop...it's real!
4. Health - posture and core building being the 2 visible health benefits - but increased energy and endurance are also big improvements! Employers know that a healthy worker is a more productive worker - with EAP programs now offering Health Coaching, benefit packages including gym memberships, workplaces organizing running clubs - employers are clued into how important it is to promote healthy living. (Sick employees cost Canadian employers over $16 Billion each year according to the Conference Board of Canada in 2013...so you know that number is probably higher now) Hoop Dance has inspired me to get off my butt and get active! I'm now interested in keeping this momentum, to reduce my risk of disease, to develop my muscles so I don't throw out my back as much. It's like a never ending spiral of benefits;)
5. Life Long Learning - this concept is one of the key characteristics that employers love in their employees. Workplaces want us to be interested in growing, developing our knowledge and skills, contributing to our teams and engaging in a productive way at work. Hoop Dance has opened up a whole world of learning for me. Movement: I have taken several hoop dance teacher trainings, joining other movement classes like Aerial Hammock, Dance Fitness and Belly Fit. Technical skills: learning social media strategies to grow my community online, website, email services and marketing strategies. And Career Development: I now have first hand experience in how self employed fitness instructors are juggling all of the above. When I get a self employed client I know what kind of multi tasking they are faced with and what strategies might work for them. The world of online business is no longer a hazy question mark for me either. SO much learning!
There are sooo many ways that Hoop Dance has helped me in my career - I can think of a few more!
If you think your hoop has helped you at work I would love to know how - comment here or find me on Facebook: www.facebook.com/revolutionhoopdance
I am going to go into more detail on #3 in The Hoop Loop and you can get in on that fun by clicking on THIS
Spin with you soon hoopers!
Carron is passionate about all things HOOP, improving your hoop dance practice and creating a hoop dance community!